Author Topic: Learn to Compose!  (Read 105 times)

November 30, 2020, 01:06:44 AM
Read 105 times

Magnet

• Information
  • Silver Rank
  • Great music theory wizard of the south!
    • View Profile
Learn to Compose!
« on: November 30, 2020, 01:06:44 AM »
Although I'm no Master at writing music, I've got a fair few years of experience on my back and like other members in this community, I would love to share my knowledge with anyone who wants it!

So, if you want to start writing music and have some questions, or you have some useful tips and tricks, feel free to post them below  ;D

November 30, 2020, 01:15:21 AM
Reply #1

ThatHiddenCharacter

• Information
  • Silver Rank
  • Administrator
  • How did I get here?
    • View Profile
Re: Learn to Compose!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 01:15:21 AM »
Might as well start with the obvious. The most important part of composing is experimentation. It's important to get a feel for your own style just by messing around. One thing I've recently gotten into that seems to have become a key part of my compositional style is using lots of non-diatonic chords. I never would've figured that out had I not just tried it. So basically, just try things! New things, old things, doesn't matter. As long as you're trying, you're learning.
The Green Thunder strikes again!

November 30, 2020, 01:17:56 AM
Reply #2

Magnet

• Information
  • Silver Rank
  • Great music theory wizard of the south!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 01:17:56 AM »
Next, you're going to need a place to store your composition. You could write on paper, but personally I recommend Musescore. https://musescore.org/en
Musescore is an application that you can write music with. There are lot's of different software for composing, but Musescore is free and powerful! Not only that, but there is a large community with plenty of tutorials.

November 30, 2020, 01:36:47 AM
Reply #3

ThatHiddenCharacter

• Information
  • Silver Rank
  • Administrator
  • How did I get here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 01:36:47 AM »
Now, of course, Musescore does require at least a basic knowledge of how to read sheet music. If this is something you don't have, fret not! You can head over to your local A-Daj-io Discord server and ask for help. There will be plenty of people hopefully willing to help you learn!
The Green Thunder strikes again!