Author Topic: Taegan's Mystery Riff  (Read 96 times)

June 18, 2020, 10:10:14 PM
Read 96 times

TaeganAdventures

• Information
    • View Profile
Taegan's Mystery Riff
« on: June 18, 2020, 10:10:14 PM »
And yes, we can never get enough challenges ;)

Yooooooooo it's Taegan back again with another challenge!
This time, it'll be all about one thing -- composition!

So as you can see, I have provided you with a lead sheet (in the attachment), which I'll be referring to as 'The Mystery Riff'. Your challenge is this: write an EPIC instrumental composition based on The Mystery Riff! :D

Da rules include the following:
  • The Mystery Riff must be used exactly, in its original key, time signature and rhythm. You are, however, allowed to develop The Mystery Riff after you have used it once in its entirety.
  • Your composition can be at any tempo (since no tempo mark is specified).
  • Your composition can be in any genre/style. ;)
  • You can use as many (or few) instruments as you like! :)
  • Your composition must be between 2 and 4 minutes in length. If your composition is loopable, each loop should be no longer than 90 seconds in length.
  • Be as creative or technical as you like! However, your compositions need to be playable.

Everyone will be given around 2 months to work on this. To submit your wonderful pieces, simply DM me the pdf and mp3 of your composition. ;)

The deadline is temporarily set at 21 Aug 2020, 23:59 hrs GMT (do the time zone math to convert that to your local time zone!)

Have fun! uwu

June 19, 2020, 04:34:10 AM
Reply #1

TaeganAdventures

• Information
    • View Profile
Re: Taegan's Mystery Riff
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 04:34:10 AM »
Ohoho you thought you'd be goin unscathed didn't you (hehe)

Just like my "One Melody, Five Three Styles" challenge, there would be a judging round for this too!
All your compositions will be judged by yours truly ;)

And the judging criteria are...

Structure (10 points)
I need to see a well-defined structure in your compositions -- introduction, climax, resolution and all. If you can, make your piece tell a story! And if you must, explain to me what that story is (main characters & events that said characters experience) uwu

Flow/Musicality (10 points)
Of course, your composition has to make musical sense (which kinda links to my point on structure). Remember, it's a composition, not a conglomeration! xD

Motivic Development (10 points)
Use The Mystery Riff in a musical way! Of course, feel free to add your own spin on it. This criterion is basically all about how you develop specific motifs in The Mystery Riff, and how tasteful you make it! ;D

Stylistic Appropriateness (10 points)
And speaking of tastefulness, any developments to the riff need to be stylistically appropriate. Of course that means you have to tell me the style/genre of your composition if I can't guess from first listen.

And last but not least... Community Vote (10 points)
Yep that's right, we're letting you play a part in the judging as well! Even if you did not participate in my challenge, you can still decide who you think the winner would be! A poll will be set up for you do vote on who you think did the best. :) Only non-participants will be allowed to vote though.
The voting period will last for up to 1 week after the challenge window ends. That means from 22 Aug to 29 Aug GMT!

All the best folks!