Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 249 times)

January 05, 2020, 12:58:55 AM
Read 249 times

Daj

• Information
  • Bronze Rank
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What are you listening to?
« on: January 05, 2020, 12:58:55 AM »
Another classic forum thread! Post what you’re listening to at this moment — try to include the artist and song title, or a youtube link.

I’ll start us off:

This is playing in the background! An old classic that I remember growing up listening to on adult radio stations.

Always thankful for this community and all of you awesome people <3

Youtube | Spotify | Beginner VGM Arrangements | Personal Website

January 05, 2020, 01:02:29 AM
Reply #1

Advos_467

• Information
  • Bronze Rank
  • Beginner Pianist
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 01:02:29 AM »
Chopin's Waltz Op 64 no 2 because classical music is lit sometimes

存在就是痛苦 存在は苦しみだ 존재는 고통이야

January 06, 2020, 10:36:25 AM
Reply #2

borborbor

• Information
  • Normal Rank
  • blur like sotong
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 10:36:25 AM »
louis armstrong's what a wonderful world (1968) album becos i found it in my sister's room

Very swing very relaxing very cosy!

Now trying to dissect and learn a few things: 1) how to do schmaltzy rich strings and brass; 2) how to not go overboard with notes in harmony; 3) how to write melodies over jazzier chords
fat pikachu

January 25, 2020, 09:19:35 PM
Reply #3

ZekromPlaysPiano

• Information
  • Normal Rank
  • Professional Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:19:35 PM »
At this very second... oh boi it's one of my random youtube clicks

Very cute synthwave-y background music. I get random songs/albums show up in my Youtube recommends sometimes and I just have to click on them. This has given me everything from Norwegian Black metal to a 6 hour long album depicting dementia (it's a terrifying listen and I haven't finished it yet). If I remember, I'll probably post a few of these random recommends in this thread as I hear them. That way we all get to experience some random music from genres we may never have listened to (or even knew existed).

January 26, 2020, 08:10:04 AM
Reply #4

A Doctor Who

• Information
  • Normal Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 08:10:04 AM »
Here's one I've been listening to a lot recently:

I'm using it in a RP I'm in too. Can't say more bc spoilers!

January 31, 2020, 07:30:04 PM
Reply #5

ZekromPlaysPiano

• Information
  • Normal Rank
  • Professional Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 07:30:04 PM »
It's time for another of my random youtube clicks

This time it's the 2012 album "A Different Arrangement" by the relatively recent band Black Marble. Kinda Joy Division-esque music, energetic synth-pop sort of vibe with a lot of electronic influences (and sometimes a vaporwave like aesthetic). I think the use of bass here is really interesting as it's often the loudest instrument in the mix even if it's only playing repeated 8th notes. This can work really well (as proven by much of 80s Japanese city pop music) but here I think it can often overshadow the vocals to the point where I can't hear the words, especially after the vocals have been reverbed to hecc. Being unintelligible is generally acceptable in heavy metal genres where the words aren't exactly as necessary as the feel but uhhh I feel like here it detracts from the music somewhat.
I will also say that some of the songs feel a bit same-y. If there wasn't a noticeable stop between each song I don't think it would always be obvious that it's a new song. 

Anyways this has been the second of my random youtube clicks, hopefully this has been interesting and you're looking forward to next time!

February 03, 2020, 12:47:23 PM
Reply #6

Linkchu

• Information
  • Normal Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 12:47:23 PM »
I have found myself getting stuck with this anime theme recently.
At first it just made me cry because it literally is the t-mobile jingle. But I still enjoy listening to it ^^

February 05, 2020, 08:53:40 PM
Reply #7

ZekromPlaysPiano

• Information
  • Normal Rank
  • Professional Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 08:53:40 PM »
awww link that's such a cute piece of music! Anime OSTs can have some really weirdly beautiful tracks and it's kinda a shame that most of the time they will get forgotten....

And now it's the next of my random Youtube clicks.

This one intrigued me since it had Japanese in the title. From what I gathered in the comments section its some jazzy arrangements of Touhou music but sadly I'm not familiar with Touhou enough to know if that's true. It's pretty cool music though! Very big Casiopea vibes, just with brass and less bass.

Tune in next time for a random Youtube click!

February 09, 2020, 03:44:11 PM
Reply #8

Sparky

• Information
  • Normal Rank
  • Actual Pikachu - they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 03:44:11 PM »
BRO I LOVE CASIOPEA!! I don't remember how I found them but I play Mint Jams a LOT, it's so great to listen to when I'm doing chores, etc. In fact I'll share that here for anyone who hasn't heard of them:

More on the video game side there's the 8-bit Big Band that I listen to very frequently and they came out with this gorgeous cover of Rosalina's Observatory which I really want to learn on clarinet now:

They/Them ** YouTube ** SoundCloud

February 09, 2020, 03:46:51 PM
Reply #9

Linkchu

• Information
  • Normal Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 03:46:51 PM »
to zek:
In this case I actually watched the anime only because I listened to this theme. I was just that impressed by how well it sounds even though it's the t-mobile motif. Definitely worth it if anyone is looking for a new one to watch^^
Unfortunately I cannot tell you wether that is touhou. We'll just have to believe the thumbnail and comments. But that's some great jazz you found there c:

February 11, 2020, 08:07:31 PM
Reply #10

ZekromPlaysPiano

• Information
  • Normal Rank
  • Professional Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 08:07:31 PM »
BRO I LOVE CASIOPEA!! I don't remember how I found them but I play Mint Jams a LOT

BROOOOOOOOO SAME! Mint Jams is my jam! It's just good vibes all the way, like it's impossible to not smile when listening to that album. Even when I was super depressed I could put it on and feel something nice for 40 minutes... Thankfully I'm doing better now but I still vibe to Mint Jams. Sadly I think most of their studio albums lose that full rich sound they get live and it'd be cool if they had done all their tracks as live albums but the music itself is still cool so I can't complain too much.

But now it's once again time for Zek's random youtube musical adventures:

It's some more Japanese electronic music. It's really well done. I'm posting this before I even finished listening to it all I was that impressed by the first few tracks. Not so much happy vibes, but it's something worth listening to and the tracks are all really beautiful in their own way.

March 15, 2020, 09:09:42 PM
Reply #11

ZekromPlaysPiano

• Information
  • Normal Rank
  • Professional Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 09:09:42 PM »
Damn has nobody seriously added anything new to this?

Anyways, today isn't a new thing necessarily. Actually it's a pretty old song.
I've been listening to a lot of edgy 2000s music recently, being strangely nostalgic about a time I never really lived through since I'm not a 90s kid.
Everyone knows "Crawling" by Linkin Park but it's a damn good song, so here's a heavier track of theirs that honestly I think is really cool... but is a bit weird to listen to, knowing that Chester committed suicide a couple of years back.

(Content warning: Metal vibes, screams and depression. Also F-bomb)