Author Topic: Taegan's Birthday Bash  (Read 1285 times)

January 23, 2021, 04:32:14 AM
Read 1285 times

TaeganAdventures

• Information
    • View Profile
Taegan's Birthday Bash
« on: January 23, 2021, 04:32:14 AM »
2020 be oveeeerrrrrr!!!

... Now on to 2021!

And with a new year comes new year's resolutions becoming a year older!
Naturally, I'd wanna wish all of you a happy birthday. But what's that? It's not your birthday? But it will be am I right xD

With that comical intro out the way, I present to you my next challenge... reharmonisation!
What you have to do is simple: reharmonise Happy Birthday like jazz bois do in college.  ;)
And if you don't want to transcribe/learn the piece by ear, I've attached a lead sheet with the original chords below! I've also included a template (in Musescore) that you can work from.

All entries should abide by the following criteria:
  • Instrumentation: This challenge is mainly for solo piano arrangements. But other instruments are welcome, too!
  • Tempo, meter and rhythm: Tempo should be between 165 and 180 bpm. The piece has to stay in 3/4 with swung 8th notes. You may choose to change the rhythm slightly, but keep it recognisable.
  • Harmony: Chords must be stated in your arrangement. All pieces should use functional harmony as much as possible.
  • Duration: The piece must be between 2 and 3 minutes in run time. Any piece exceeding 3 minutes will be disqualified!
  • Musical form: Arrangements should follow the form of A B C A'.
    Section A is the reharm of Happy Birthday; section B is a contrasting section with the same chord progression as in section A; section C is an improvisatory segment (write anyting you like!); section A' is a reinstatement/development of section A to conclude the arrangement.
All entries are to be in the form of a pdf and mp3 file. To submit your entries, DM them to me by 12 Feb 2021 (I may give an extension if there are fewer than 3 participants)

All the best to yall and ... d j a z z !

January 24, 2021, 02:16:27 AM
Reply #1

TaeganAdventures

• Information
    • View Profile
Re: Taegan's Birthday Bash
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 02:16:27 AM »
Now that yall have gotten the mission brief, it's time forrrrrr ... ... scoring criteria! :PogChamp:

Harmony (10 points)
The chords you use have to follow functional harmony. Make the chords paint a picture! Every chord tells a story, and it's up to you to make that story as exciting (or anticlimactic xD) as possible :)
(Pro tip: Jazzy chord progressions/vamps score extra points!)

Development and Musicality (10 points)
Use the A B C A' form (stated in my previous post) to guide you in your reharm! And of course, add some flair (tastefully) to the piece!
(Disclaimer: This is not a toccata, it's d j a z z. So nothing too flashy here ;D)

Layout/Readability (10 points)
This criterion is all about making your score neat and easy to sight-read. Djazz bois do A LOT of sight reading too!

Playability (5 points)
I won't be too strict with this one, but basically make it playable. Imagine this -- concert musicians are playing your arrangement on your birthday; you wouldn't wanna give them a tough time would you?

Community vote (15 points)
This is all up to YOU! I'll be putting up a poll after I've collected all the entries ... and all you have to do is this: tell me which reharm you like best!

That's all for now folks! And until next time ... d j a z z !

February 22, 2021, 01:07:08 AM
Reply #2

TaeganAdventures

• Information
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 01:07:08 AM »
D E F G E-- C D

This l i c c represents the start of community voting for the birthday djazz!

Voting begins right n o w and ends on 7 Mar 00:00 UTC!
So what are you waiting for? Listen to the d j a z z pieces and vote using the links below!
All the best to our wonderful participants and until next time ... ... d j a z z !

Listen to the pieces here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16q1QkO_-ABugiQqCeE9F-GIbJMlMrWT-?usp=sharing
Vote here: https://forms.gle/p4cF3RK71EXjHghb6

April 08, 2021, 09:24:13 PM
Reply #3

TaeganAdventures

• Information
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 09:24:13 PM »
So you might be wondering... what on earth happened to the birthday d j a z z ?

Well... ...
I officially declare this a tie!

But HOW you might ask?

So here's the thing...
I only received 2 submissions, Piece A from Zoroquil the Fluffy and Piece B from Magnet.
Where did Piece C come from? From yours truly (of course), literally a few hours from the deadline! If y o u (the voters) thought Piece C was rushed... well, it actually was!
Of course it would be silly for me to judge my own piece, and I only made Piece C because I felt bad there were only 2 submissions. And in my original post, I said this: "I may give an extension if there are fewer than 3 participants"... but since I did not, I had to throw in my own piece just before voting.

Thinking about it now, I should have given that extension to allow more entries to come in. So starting now, I'll be allowing everybody else to submit a Happy Birthday d j a z z arrangement. There's no deadline nor competition for this one, so have a go at it! :)