Author Topic: The "One Melody, Five Styles" Challenge! (finished)  (Read 1474 times)

March 03, 2020, 12:30:36 AM
Read 1474 times

TaeganAdventures

• Information
    • View Profile
The "One Melody, Five Styles" Challenge! (finished)
« on: March 03, 2020, 12:30:36 AM »
Yooooooooo it's Taegan here with my first ever community event!

Well... you've read the title and the name of the challenge says it all... one melody, 5 styles  ;)

But what melody you may ask? :D
It'll be none other than Pachelbel's Canon (Canon in D)!

The challenge is simple: Take the melody of Canon in D and turn it into any 5 styles of your choice! It can be genre changes, in the style of another composer (*tsk tsk* bonus points for VGM composers  ;))... let your creative juices flow!

You've got up till 12 Apr 2am GMT to DM your arrangements to our lovely judges
@TaeganAdventures (yours truly! ^^)
@dayz
@ThatHiddenCharacter
@tvbo

The judges will rate each of your arrangements on a scale of 0 to 10.

All the best to everyone and may the best musician win!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 09:56:52 AM by TaeganAdventures »

March 03, 2020, 01:05:25 AM
Reply #1

bor

• Information
  • A-Daj-io Citizen
  • blur like sotong
    • View Profile
Re: The "One Melody, Five Styles" Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 01:05:25 AM »
pachelbel! shoutouts to jerry c for providing early internet with the greatness that is canon rock
also check out this mario paint one which changed my childhood
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:08:05 AM by borborbor »
fat pikachu

May 24, 2020, 11:10:53 PM
Reply #2

TaeganAdventures

• Information
    • View Profile
The "One Melody, Three Styles" Challenge!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 11:10:53 PM »
And just like that, the results are innnnnn!!!
(only me an dayz were judgin this one xD)
(and it's technically One Melody, Three Styles now)

So let me introduce our 3 fine participants: bor, THC and Magnet!
Here. We. GOOO.

Starting with bor!
Broadway in D:
Me: 7.5/10 (yes decimal places exist) I must say you were stylistically on point, with a lot of cheesy theatre s p i c e thrown in. And it sounded pretty good too on just one instrument. Still, something about it being a solo piano piece made it seem kinda awkward as an actual broadway piece.
dayz: 8/10 Pretty accurate to style, but the canon was lost in some parts
Toccanon
Me: 10/10 This is exactly what I imagined a toccata to sound like, so excellent work!
dayz: 9/10 (no comment)
Canon Phases
Me: 5/10 I get where this is going, but I couldn't really hear the signature Pachelbel's Canon melody. Sorry bor :( but I can amend this if you show me where the canon is ;)
dayz: 7/10 Canon was pretty hard to hear

Now on to THC
Canon in Doo-wop
Me: 9.5/10 Wow... I'm impressed. Although it doesn't sound like traditional doo-wop, it keeps the best of both worlds between Pachelbel and doo-wop music.
dayz: 8/10 I'd say it wasn't exactly what my interpretation of doo-wop sounds like
Canon in Kirkhope
Me: 9.5/10 E p i c o ! But that figure in the trumpets (bar 20) is kinda cheesy and I'm not sure if it's a reference to a particular Kirkhope game. Anyways, it's still fun to listen to.
dayz: 10/10 (no comment)
Canon in Rag
Me: 7/10 I would have given you 9/10 or even 10/10 if you hadn't sneaked in The Entertainer, cos it's technically plagarism.
dayz: 9/10 (no comment)

And last but not least, Magnet uwu
Magnet's thing
Me: 7.5/10 Could use a little more syncopation especially for a funk-based style.
dayz: 9/10 Stylized well.
Attempt 2 (movie soundtrack)
Me: 8.5/10 I pictured this as from a children's movie, which surprisingly works! But I'm not too sure about how it'll fit into other film genres, like thriller/horror or action movies.
dayz: 8/10 Sounded good, but was pretty similar to the original canon.
Canon 3 (Jazz/Sax solo)
Me: 7/10 As a jazz boi myself, I'd say you made a decent attempt. I love the occasional bebop lines and ad lib you added to embellish the melody, and the secondary dominants too. But there are some defining features in traditional swing jazz music that your piece was lacking. Like swung 8th notes and the lack of a rhythm section (drums and bass). Even a simple walking bassline would make the piece sound jazzier.
dayz: 7/10 Pretty similar to original.

And the grand totals are...
THC: 54/60
Magnet: 47/60
bor: 46.5/60

Congrats to THC for being the eventual winner! ^^ Still, everyone did a great job here!
If you wanna check out what everyone submitted, feel free to click the link below where I've compiled everyone's arrangements :)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p59BP3_SCs4jmn-6Zp3EsJYvEAL8kW3X